msmazzola wonders why people blog. She’s conducting informal research on the topic and asks folks to respond by posting their answers to the following questions and then posting a link to their post in her comments. (thanks Bridgett)
1. How long have you been blogging?
I began blogging June 21, 2001.
2. Why did you start blogging?
I was looking for a way to create a journal online — I’d been keeping a journal since I was in 9th grade and wanted a way to journal and make it public. I eventually found Blogger.
3. What have you found to be the benefits of blogging?
I’ve found a community of people that seem to enjoy reading about my life and I enjoy reading about theirs. It gives me an outlet for my writing. I enjoy writing and having someone else read what I write makes it all the better.
4. How many times a week do you post an entry?
It depends. I average about 2 times a month. I’d like to post more, but real life gets in the way.
5. How many different blogs do you read on a regular basis?
I’ve got at least 75 blogs on my feed reader, but don’t read them all the time. I do, however, make sure I read the 15 or so under the label “friends”. I’ve only ever met one person on my “friends” list, but I feel like I know the others just as well.
6. Do you comment on other people’s blogs?
Yes, I try to comment many of on the blogs I read.
7. Do you keep track of how many visitors you have? Is so, are you satisfied with your numbers?
I do tend to obsess on my stats sometimes, but other times I forget to check. I’m never completely satisfied with my stats, but there are so many blogs out there, it is understandable that mine doesn’t get checked very much. I always love it when I get a new comment though. It kind of validates my writing.
8. Do you ever regret a post that you wrote?
I don’t regret much of what I write because I try to not write anything that can hurt. I did have a blog a few years ago that I did write some regretful things. I removed it.
9. Do you think your audience has a true sense of who you are based on your blog?
Yes, I think I am pretty honest about who I am — even in the blog I removed.
10. Do you blog under your real name?
Yes and no. I have a few blogs and some don’t have my real name.
11. Are there topics that you would never blog about?
12. What is the theme/topic of your blog?
13. Do you have more than one blog? If so, why?