Found this among the photographs/letters/recipes/magazine clippings at Mom’s house. The photo was inside a two-fold handmade card with the Shangri-La Bar drawing taped to the front. On the inside, facing the photo are the addresses of the other sailors. They are hard to decipher, but here goes:
- J. E Brestle, Rt 3, R.D #3 St. Clairsville, Ohio
- Choice Lee Hoover, Jr, Rt #2 Harrisburg, Miss
- J. B. Otten, R. R #1 Washington, Ill
According to the back of the card the Shangri-La Bar was located in Panama City, Panama (156 Calle Del Estudiante, One Block from the Lesseps Park) and featured:
- Newly and artistically remodeling
- Better drinks at popular prices
- Quick and competent service
- Caters to all branches of the U.S.A Armed Forces and Canal Zone personnel
- An honest to goodness modern bar that pleases the eye as well as the drinking taste of its customers
I checked, there is no Shangri-La bar in Panama City, Panama any longer, nor is there a park named Lesseps.
This is not politically correct and quite offensive, but this was probably 1949, so let’s give it a pass. Anyway, that woman was probably about to turn around and give the wolves a piece of her mind.
I love the look on the bartender’s face. These days we’d call it photobombing.